If you want to build an enduring, successful and profitable business, hire people based on their heart, not their highlight reel. Look at the inside, not the outside. A candidate’s physical appearance alone can be deceiving.
We live in a culture fascinated with personality, charisma, intellectual knowledge, good looks, profile pictures and designer clothes. The American media continually force feeds us the lie that our facade is more important than our soul. We have been programmed to look at vain measurements rather than the true measure of success; the heart.
The heart of a man or women, their inner-being, will answer the following questions:
- How they perform under pressure and difficulties?
- Will they play nice or be devious?
- Are they a team player or an “it’s all about me” player?
- Do they possess a strong ethical compass?
- Will they give up and become a mindless cubicle dweller waiting to retire?
How do you know an applicant is the right person? Their heart.
I have known people who have become tremendous successes in life, but if you judged them on their outward appearance you would not have hired them.
If you want to hire winners, go beyond the superficial aspects and peer into the heart. Good hearts build great companies.