Evil: What Makes People Go Wrong?
Does your company require you to attend an ethics seminar each year? Certain professions require ethics continuing education courses. I recommend this 23-minute video, “Evil: What Makes People Go Wrong,” by Dr. Philip Zimbardo and produced by TED. This presentation is crammed full of ethics lessons that explain the human condition and how unchecked power can have terrible consequences.
7 Processes that Grease the Slippery Slope of Evil
by Dr. Philip Zimbardo
- Mindlessly taking the first small step
- Dehumanization of others
- De-individuation of self (anonymity)
- Diffusion of personal responsibility
- Blind obedience to authority
- Uncritical conformity to group norms
- Passive tolerance of evil through inaction or indifference