Does the HR profession have their act together?
There are very intelligent people in the HR profession, but when a business leader wants to improve company performance, the typical HR response is related to:
- Evaluating organizational structure
- Reviewing compensation and benefit plans
- Diagnosing efficiency of the human capital management system
- Creating elaborate metrics and dashboards
- Evaluating headcount
- Any human resource program except company culture
These may be important issues, but I have found the health of any successful organization is heavily dependent on their work environment – the people component.
Company culture will largely determine the success or failure of an organization.
If a company has a toxic environment, talented people will leave and miserable people will stay. Would you want to invest in a company with a toxic work environment?
It is time to first focus on company culture and organizational health.